Bringing together fresh summer seafood tastes, the comforting, smooth flavour of bourbon and a warm, spicy finish, COAST’s Matt Dean Pettit is elevating seafood menus this season with his Cattlemen’s® Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Shrimp Sandwich.
½ lb 20-25 sized shrimp (OceanWise approved sustainable large Shrimp, peeled, cleaned & butterflied)
2 cups Flour, 1 cup reserved to dusted/dredge
1 cup Beer
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
¼ cup Cattlemen’s® Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Sauce
½ cup Carrot, grated or julienne
½ cup Cabbage, shredded
1 bunch Fresh chives, finely chopped
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Club House La Grille Chipotle Mango Seasoning
2 Martin’s Potato Rolls
2 Kosher dill pickles, cut into coins
¼ cup Canola oil, to fry
- In a large bowl, combine the beer, 1 cup of flour, baking soda, salt and pepper. Mix batter until smooth.
- Mix ¼ cup mayonnaise and Club House La Grille Chipotle Mango Seasoning together in a bowl. Add cabbage and carrot. Let sit.
- Heat the cooking oil. Oil should have a temperature of 350 degrees.
- Toss the shrimp in flour to coat, then coat in the batter. Place the battered shrimp in cooking oil to fry for 2-3 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- In a mixing bowl, add the shrimp and Cattlemen’s® Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Sauce and mix well.
- Spread mayo to both the top and bottom of the buns, add crispy, sauced shrimp and top with La Grille Chipotle Mango Seasoning slaw and pickles. Close the bun.
- Serve with a few pickles on top of the bun, set in place with a small skewer and enjoy!
Recipe by: Chef Matt Dean Pettit of Coast by MDP
About Chef Matt Dean Pettit & COAST
After getting his start in the restaurant industry at age 13 as a busboy, Matt Dean Pettit found that his team was having much more fun in the back-of-house in the kitchen. Throughout high school and college, he worked his way up the line from a dishwasher to a prep cook. Eventually, Pettit travelled to Edinburgh, Scotland where he lived a double life as a chef and rugby player. Soon after, he took an eight-year kitchen break to learn the business side of the consumer package goods industry, working alongside various alcohol and beverage package products.
Eventually, Pettit called it quits and returned to his kitchen calling by opening his first food truck, Rock Lobster. 3 more physical restaurants, multiple television appearances and numerous best-selling cookbooks later, Pettit has now launched his latest endeavour, Coast by MDP.
A take on Rock Lobster, but offered as a solution for restaurants, Coast by MDP offers affordable, sustainable seafood selections plus training and product-filled partnerships with various kitchens.